So my first iteration ended in a failed BIOS update… Now I have a fresh MB.
Iteration 2 – disable everything
Ryzen machine is running pretty stable now with a few tweaks. I was getting some memory paging bugs but one of things worked around it:
- Moved from 4.10 (stock zesty) to 4.11 mainline kernel
- Remove 1 of my 2 16 GB sticks of memory
- Underclock memory from 2400 -> 2133
- Re-enable VM Support (CVM)
- Disable the C6
- Disable boost
It was totally stable for several days after that..
Iteration 3 – BIOS update
Trying to have less things disabled (or more specifically to get my full 32 GB of ram) I did the latest (7A37v14) BIOS update (with all cables not important for the update removed).
Memtest had also intermittently shown bad ram… but I can no longer reproduce… Both sticks tested independently show nothing is wrong.. Then I put both back in and it says it’s fine.
Part of that was resetting the settings above and although it was more stable I was still getting random crashes.
Iteration 4 – Mostly just underclock the RAM
- Underclocked 32 GB of memory from 2400 -> 2133
- On 4.11 kernel mainline kernel with Nouveau drivers (previously on Nvidia prop. driver, but didn’t support 4.11 at the time)
So far it’s been stable and that’s what I’m running.
- CPU Temperature Reporting on Linux is Missing. (AMD has to release the data to do so – see some discussion here. That is a community project, posting there will not help AMD do anything)
- Being coreboot friendly with these new chips
- Update BIOS from Linux?
- Why is VM support disabled by default? (It’s called SVM on these boards)
- MSI please document/implement BIOS recover for these motherboards
Ryzen 1700 is a pretty powerful chip. I love having 16 threads available to me (VMs/Compiling faster is what I wanted from ryzen and it delivers) Like many new products there are some stumbling blocks for earlier adopters, but I feel like on my hardware combinations+ I’m finally seeing the stability I need.
*Stability testing was just leaving BOINC running (with SETI and NFS projects) with Firefox open. And doing normal work with VMs, etc.
+ MB: MSI B350M MORTAR AM4
2 x Patriot 16GB DDR4-2400 PSD416G24002H