>Consider this a call to arms. The free software community has a right to exist in the political space and to press candidates for the use of free software (and not just open standards).
I am already annoyed at the $300,000 or so going to Microsoft and Symantec each year.
The Cherry Hill School Board recently voted to put a budget increase up for vote. They say they trimmed a lot of things but listed several things as important enough to add.
Then I saw some of the few things they wanted to add:
- Financial/HR Software (partial funding) – $617,000;
- Tech Support for New Software – $62,000 (1 FTE);
- IEP Writing Software – $110,000
- Technology to Enhance Communication with Parents regarding Student Progress – $150,000
- Data Warehouse – $233,000
Out of the proposed additions to the budget; software (or “technology”) is 46%.